Tribal Radio Meet the Staff Forum Chat Room [] Forum Home Page Members Gallery Calendar
Go Back   Tribal Living > Tribal Social, Political and Personal Issues > Your Shout!!!
User CP Register Tribal Members Mark Forums Read

Your Shout!!! A place to discuss issues that affect you personally, and feelings you have about what is happening in the world in general!!

Welcome to the Tribal Living forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 17.04.2012, 07:01
wizadora wizadora is away from the Tribe for now.
ecowarrior

My Mood:
Replacement Holy Thorn tree in Glastonbury has been damaged

The Holy thorn tree replacement has also been damaged. It was standing at just over 6 foot and now it stands at about 1 foot.
Such a sad state of affairs when folk think it is acceptable to go around causing such unnecessary damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-17735033
Old 17.04.2012, 08:08
dryad dryad is away from the Tribe for now.
moonkissed elder

why, oh, why do people do this?

the old thorn though is shooting again,
taken the pic from here..http://www.glastonburypeople.co.uk/N...ail/story.html

~~dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow~~

~ love is in the heart, not just in the words. ~
~
~ excercise for the heart: reaching down and helping someone else up ~

~
~ ~ the trees are coming into leaf like something almost being said........last year is dead they seem to say, begin afresh, afresh, afresh ~ ~
p.larkin.
~ eyes are the windows to the soul, but the heart is the doorway ~

Old 17.04.2012, 08:16
Red Fox Red Fox is away from the Tribe for now.
Uncivilising

Well, Glastonbury isnt and never has been a place of all sweetness and light unfortunately. Its always been divided between the Glastonians and Avalonians. There is a high percentage of residents who want their town back to how it was (as they see things) before the newage influx.
A couple of years ago, when i rented a place there briefly, the landlady and her partner often joked they wanted the RAF to bomb the Tor and flatten it to stop the "hippies" coming and to improve the TV signal!
Personally, I feel its this mindset that is behind the trashing of the thorn. Of course, it could just as well be alcohol fuelled rednecks, of which there are many (rednecks that is). A friend who runs a bnb in the town quite often has her front garden (complete with a few discrete figurines) trashed and stuff shouted at her because she is seen as a hippy (she isnt) and an incomer (Scots).
I do wonder whether the whole area should never have been settled in the first place; there are some places that are seen as so holy that they should only be visited on special occassions perhaps. Our forbears, prior to the arrival of Xtianity certainly show little evidence of settlement, especially around and on the 3 sacred hills of the Tor, Wirral and Chalice.
There is such a hotch-potch of discordant energies in the town due to the influx that anyone with real sensitivity would find it extremely difficult to live there i would have thought. Its all very sad indeed. It will be re-planted again but i doubt the antagonism will go away.

"Perfection spawns doctrines, dictators and totalitarian ideas"- Tabucchi

"The end of the human race will be that it will
eventually die of civilisation"- Emerson
Old 22.04.2012, 13:35
madcat madcat is away from the Tribe for now.
Composter

My Mood:
well thats a viewof Glastonbury that I never considered Red Fox, I suppose its a relatively small place.
Attacking a tree that can't run away seems a pretty crap thing to do
Old 22.04.2012, 13:42
Red Fox Red Fox is away from the Tribe for now.
Uncivilising

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat View Post
well thats a viewof Glastonbury that I never considered Red Fox, I suppose its a relatively small place.
Attacking a tree that can't run away seems a pretty crap thing to do
Indeed! I guess the tree represents the "other" that some Glastonians do not want as it is no longer just a xtian symbol and its not really an accepted orthodox xtian symbol anyway. Even back in the 20's and 30's Dion Fortune wrote about the 2 energy streams in the area, the Pagan "hill" and the Xtian town (Abbey). After all, its the British death god, Gwynn ap Nudd and the Hell Hounds whose domain the Tor is. What DF didnt consider as much was the "ordinary" people of the town, because at that time the townsfolk were in a huge majority, now they feel they are in a minority.

"Perfection spawns doctrines, dictators and totalitarian ideas"- Tabucchi

"The end of the human race will be that it will
eventually die of civilisation"- Emerson
Old 23.04.2012, 12:02
bigpaul bigpaul is away from the Tribe for now.
Digger

we lived in Glastonbury for 10 years and a neighbour used to complain there were too many "rednecks" living in the town, what the ordinary townsfolk(straights) seem to forget is that without the "hippies" Glastonbury would just be another boring little town and most of the shoppers would go to Wells or Bath instead! we used to laugh every saturday when the coaches used to drop off their day trippers-who hadnt come to look at the "ordinary" shops, they'd come to GAWP at the hippies.