Tribal Radio Meet the Staff Forum Chat Room [] Forum Home Page Members Gallery Calendar
Go Back   Tribal Living > Tribal Social, Political and Personal Issues > Your Shout!!!
User CP Register Tribal Members Mark Forums Read

Your Shout!!! A place to discuss issues that affect you personally, and feelings you have about what is happening in the world in general!!

Welcome to the Tribal Living forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 01.11.2011, 23:49
General Lighting General Lighting is away from the Tribe for now.
witte kat-licht op't pad!

from his own site...

Quote:
Fresh One Productions
Fresh One, founded and wholly owned by Jamie Oliver, has produced remarkable campaigning output on TV with series like 'School Dinners', 'Ministry of Food' &'Saving Jamie's Bacon'. With new Managing Director, Roy Ackerman,
However, no VOSA operating license appears to exist for either Jamie Oliver, Roy Ackerman or Fresh one productions - and I've checked the database and found every license the BBC Outside Broadcast has, Wiz's van and also ITV (who have handed back most of their operators licenses other than the old Yorkshire TV site, as most ITV news/OB trucks are 3.5T panel vans nowadays), I think they keep a few just for certain location series...

As he is actually a lot older than I thought (around the same age as me) and unlike many celebs has managed to stay off the bottle/drugs enough to not get busted for DUI he would presumably have a C1 entitlement on his driving license so this would not prevent him from legally driving a TK for the purpose of the telly programme, or even driving it as a personal vehicle, but if he was using it as part of a commercial project then someone would need to license it somewhere...

I think its another franchise deal and this vehicle is from a company what hires out vehicles for films/telly. I suspect it may have indeed started life as has a TV location film unit/outside broadcast van (hence the fancy box) and been kept and kitted out as a pet project by an older, retired person what worked in the industry as its the sort of thing those old boys do..

incidentally I also found a few BBC names I recognised when I was sending kit out to them 10 years ago - them chaps (who were old enough to be my dad) always moaned about auntie and all the rules and regulations and "govt interference" and how they were going to take early retirement....
ha! ha! gien andere kater doet wij wat!

VFRmedia East : http://www.vfrmedia.co.uk twitter : https://twitter.com/VFRmedia
ratcoTEL Networks (rtn) techblog : http://www.ratcotel.net/
Old 02.11.2011, 20:24
albislug albislug is away from the Tribe for now.
Smith in da smithy!

My Mood:
Think id rather go to places like oban pier.

screw the telly, havent got time for it anyway.

www.windysmithy.co.uk
Old 03.11.2011, 12:59

I've been wondering more about this vehicle and delving more into the production company's info and I don't think its ex-military - it probably was a mobile dressing room used on film locations and would have been based at somewhere like Pinewood, Elstree or Teddington when it was owned by Thames/Thorn EMI. All these three companies, had a informal "buy British" polilcy which when it became impossible to not end up with foreign kit in the van at least still extended to vehicles. They also had more spare cash than Auntie (although today its the other way round!)

It would be thus a bit more "posh" than a "scanner" (live outside broadcast van used for news/sports) which are more spartan and functional and the space devoted to housing bulky equipment rather than actors/acresses and wardrobes.

Due to the decline in the British creative industries, I thnk someone what worked there has bought it cheaply (perhaps with their redundancy / retirement money), got a VOSA operators license for its use and hires it out to the remaining film/telly productions.

Think its probably a personal friend of the old luvvie chap Jamie oliver set up the production company with, of a similar age who wants to see the van used rather than weighed but is now too old to drive it which is fair enough I suppose.

Coincidentally one reason Yorkshire TV kept its VOSA license whereas other regions handed theres back is that ITV keep (or kept) their remaining large vehicles there as their only remaining location filmed seriies are dramas like
Heartbeat which are filmed in that area.

ITV started moving to panel vans in the 1990s to save cash - the Meridian region was first to do this, they co-designed a satellite broadcast van with British Telecom, I used to see it outside the Crown Court at Reading fairly often. It was technically impressive but quite cramped inside...

VFRmedia East : http://www.vfrmedia.co.uk twitter : https://twitter.com/VFRmedia
Old 05.11.2011, 15:13
teapotcircus teapotcircus is away from the Tribe for now.
Composter

My Mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5d-x...ayer_embeddedl looks like a MK orMJ +the kitchen truck .
Old 06.11.2011, 08:01
wizard1luv wizard1luv is away from the Tribe for now.
got any rizla's

My Mood:
absolutely g.l, i saw a clip of j.o driving the m.k, he called it his mobile kitchen, as its an mk, and a mobile business which can be used for earning a living, full operators licence for hire or reward, restricted o licence for carrying your own goods, either one of these he will certainly need,
also, given its an m.k, used for business, and he's being paid to drive it, he will certainly need to hold a class two h.g.v licence, i bet he hasnt got that either. so thats two counts of getting away with it.
as you rightly say, if there's no record on the o licence data base then he'll cop a several grand fine. its the company or person that owns the vehicle that is duly bound to have the o licence, not the driver if j.o isnt the owner driver. if he dosent own it, he certainly needs the class two hgv licence.

anarchism isnt just a state of mind, its a state of being.

i've learnt many lessons from the mistakes i've made, i think i'll make some more mistakes

me no live in de babylon

it is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages

i'm not carefree - i'm free to care

i once thought i was unlucky because i never had a pair of boots, then i met a man with no feet.

Old 06.11.2011, 08:32
woody woody is away from the Tribe for now.
Composter

i believe he personal owns it and had it converted by the same people who built his kitchen trailer to tow behind his vw
Old 06.11.2011, 13:19
got any rizla's

My Mood:
well, he's duly bound to have restricted operators licence as its over 3.5 tons, plus class two h.g.v licence.

unless he's used the educational purposes route to bypass the need for said requirements.

i've learnt many lessons from the mistakes i've made, i think i'll make some more mistakes

me no live in de babylon

it is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages

i once thought i was unlucky because i never had a pair of boots, then i met a man with no feet.

Old 06.11.2011, 13:58

He may have paid for the asset of the truck as a directors' loan to one of the production companies but have the operators license in a different name, especially as it might reduce his personal taxation liability. (this is all above board and lots of people do it to offset the cost of vehicles which are part works vehicle but part personal use).

Mr Oliver is older than he looks though and might well have a C1 license entitlement on his normal driving license.

From speaking to the old chaps at BBC etc a while back (as a lot of my friends were asking whether I knew about large vehicles being sold off but then realised they could no longer legally drive them) the impression I got was that the BBC etc would pay to put a younger person through their test to drive a big scanner, but the ops license was only needed by the company owning the vehicle (the BBC). if (or more likely when) the young person got laid off due to cutbacks, they still had their C group license and could drive any other large vehicle on it.

it did become a significant cost to the TV industry by the late 90s which is why so many larger vehicles got decommissioned.

Even shift 4 (the company hiring out the HD cameras) only has 3.5t large cars or panel vans as crew vehicles.

I still think its originally a site vehicle off Pinewood / Elstree / Teddington or similar -where they would have need for mobile kitchens, folk like cameramen need feeding, and back in the day when even Japanese cameras weren't that light they tended to be big men what liked their food

Last edited by General Lighting : 06.11.2011 at 16:50.
Old 06.11.2011, 22:08
got any rizla's

My Mood:
aye, that sounds about right, probably is ex catering unit from some place.

me no live in de babylon

Old 06.11.2011, 22:29
woody woody is away from the Tribe for now.
Composter

just found this...

Quote:
Vehicle: bedford mj
Restoration: build mobile pub
What we did:
The brief was to build a pub on wheels with seating for twelve people and to incorporate a wood burning pizza oven and make it have an atmosphere inside to be just like an old pub. we started with an old bedford mj army lorry which we striped out and built a classic shooting bus body using old reclaimed timber to Jamie's specifications , the wood burning oven we used came from orchard ovens , the table is a folding unit made from beautiful old oak wood perfect for dinner party's with a difference, the ambiance inside is enhanced by 24 volt lighting and the glow of the pizza oven as well as Jamie's own decor ,"The cock in cider" as Jamie called it has just finished a round Britain tour which can be seen in his book "Jamie's great Britain " and on the channel 4 series. this lorry can also be hired for events