Tribal Radio Meet the Staff Forum Chat Room [] Forum Home Page Members Gallery Calendar
Go Back   Tribal Living > Eco-Living... > Recycling
User CP Register Tribal Members Mark Forums Read

Recycling Everything you want to know about recycling.

Welcome to the Tribal Living forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 26.04.2012, 17:30
wizard1luv wizard1luv is away from the Tribe for now.
got any rizla's

My Mood:
there'as nowt that can compensate reading from a real book.

anarchism isnt just a state of mind, its a state of being.

i've learnt many lessons from the mistakes i've made, i think i'll make some more mistakes

me no live in de babylon

it is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages

i'm not carefree - i'm free to care

i once thought i was unlucky because i never had a pair of boots, then i met a man with no feet.

Old 26.04.2012, 23:18
littlepixie littlepixie is away from the Tribe for now.
Composter

My Mood:
I love books, flicking through the pages mmm. I also go to charity shops to find books there not all mills and boon (I admit to reading a few when I was 12). But when it came to looking for terry Pratchett I had to go to quite a few. We do have an Oxfam book shop here in the town, but I don't do Oxfam there to expensive. Mostly my friends and family do swaps, although my eldest sister has just got a kindle . Such a shame as we both enjoy the same books.
Old 27.04.2012, 00:15
Duckman Duckman is away from the Tribe for now.
Freerangertarian

My Mood:
I have to say I think some books should have never been publsihed. I have a home renovation book there the authors did not know what they were writing about.

"I only ever asked god to do one thing for me, to make my enemies look ridiculous and this he did." - Voltaire

News is something someone somewhere doesn't want published - all the rest is advertising.

My idea of making a living is to get paid as much for doing as little as possible.
Old 27.04.2012, 08:04
dryad dryad is away from the Tribe for now.
moonkissed elder

sounds like that's one that could be re-cycled/pulped duckman and help save a tree and add to a charity's coffers..

have a friend who collects paper, cardboard, telephone directories, catalogues, mills and boons etc.. in his local village, it all gets weighed in and provides valuable funds for the local scouts who do things to help the local community, which can't be bad..
thats where all mine go to..(not mills and boons though, they have never crossed my doorstep, even the thought makes me shudder)

~~dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow~~

~ love is in the heart, not just in the words. ~
~
~ excercise for the heart: reaching down and helping someone else up ~

~
~ ~ the trees are coming into leaf like something almost being said........last year is dead they seem to say, begin afresh, afresh, afresh ~ ~
p.larkin.
~ eyes are the windows to the soul, but the heart is the doorway ~

Old 27.04.2012, 08:20
dryad dryad is away from the Tribe for now.
moonkissed elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Fox View Post
I agree with you about the kindle and also reading off a computer generally. Its ok when its essay length or even shorter forum length on a screen but for a real read you cant be the tactile nature and smell of a book-they are somehow more cosy and a screen always feels "cold" to me. I suppose it must be generational although my two stepdaughters, one in particular are book junkies, so that trashes that notion
have to say i agree with you fox, too long spent in front of a screen reading is a no, no for me, and too impersonal, much prefer to snuggle up cosy with a real book, as does my daughter too, guess it's a bibliophile thing and not generational..
i know many other young(er) ones who feel the same..
bookworms we are..

what worries me though, is the amount of kids leaving school who still can't read, or very little, and they can't all be dyslexic..
the emphasis, well to me, shouldn't be on the rigid learning to read bit, but giving a child encouragement to 'want' to, and finding it fun and a pleasure to do so, if that makes sense..

~~dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow~~

~ love is in the heart, not just in the words. ~
~
~ excercise for the heart: reaching down and helping someone else up ~

~
~ ~ the trees are coming into leaf like something almost being said........last year is dead they seem to say, begin afresh, afresh, afresh ~ ~
p.larkin.
~ eyes are the windows to the soul, but the heart is the doorway ~

Old 27.04.2012, 10:41
General Lighting General Lighting is away from the Tribe for now.
witte kat-licht op't pad!

I collect books on engineering and electronics from the 1940s to 1980s, as well as stuff about maps, maritime info. But these are hard to find in charity shops. You do sometimes get the old dudes in the real old style bookshop but they charge increasingly high prices and many of them are getting elderly and too infirm to run their shops (especially in towns where security against robbery / theft / arson is a major issue). Some still sell their books online.
ha! ha! gien andere kater doet wij wat!

VFRmedia East : http://www.vfrmedia.co.uk twitter : https://twitter.com/VFRmedia
ratcoTEL Networks (rtn) techblog : http://www.ratcotel.net/
Old 27.04.2012, 11:47
Red Fox Red Fox is away from the Tribe for now.
Uncivilising

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lighting View Post
I collect books on engineering and electronics from the 1940s to 1980s, as well as stuff about maps, maritime info. But these are hard to find in charity shops. You do sometimes get the old dudes in the real old style bookshop but they charge increasingly high prices and many of them are getting elderly and too infirm to run their shops (especially in towns where security against robbery / theft / arson is a major issue). Some still sell their books online.
There's an old style secondhand bookshop in Halesworth owned by a genuine Romany chap. I think he's had his own Rom/English dictionary published. There was loads of technical books in there when i last went (maritime, aviation, science etc). Trouble now is Amazon. A "rare" gypsy book in his shop was 12.99 and under 2 on Amazon. Its a real shame, but i cant knock Amazon Marketplace as ive gotten some rare and reasonably priced books off there.

"Perfection spawns doctrines, dictators and totalitarian ideas"- Tabucchi

"The end of the human race will be that it will
eventually die of civilisation"- Emerson
Old 27.04.2012, 12:39
wildman wildman is away from the Tribe for now.
Composter

I have over 2000 books, from engineering to farming, wildlife to exotic pets, model railways to flying and military. then gardening to computing. Nearly every one a reference book. some very rare and expensive others less so. I will be thinning down shortly out of necessity, we have run out of space. I have twice as many books again on my computer, for the kindle reader or just pain PDF's. I use both extensively.I no longer look at books in the recycling centre, just nowhere to put them
Old 27.04.2012, 12:55
waterman waterman is away from the Tribe for now.
Ambitus Rosa

My Mood:
I love books and i buy more every week, there is also a regular book sale at Diss and Aylsham, Kindle will never fully take over and could even be a passing fad
Old 27.04.2012, 13:01
ribenaman ribenaman is away from the Tribe for now.
wind powered

My Mood:
I would find it impossible to concentrate long enough to read a couple of chapters when online, my mind wanders and i end up clicking on something else unrelated, I dont think theres any computer or laptop or phone or any modern gadget that can compare to the feel and smell of an old book, i love them, so for a good read its books every time for me, also i tend to gather old stuff and you cant hoard stuff thats online, books can be like prized possessions even if you dont open them for years----blah blah blah jeez i think im getting old