Tribal Radio Meet the Staff Forum Chat Room [] Forum Home Page Members Gallery Calendar
Go Back   Tribal Living > Eco-Living... > General Discussion on Eco-Living
User CP Register Tribal Members Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Tribal Living forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old 26.06.2007, 11:34
sensamelia sensamelia is away from the Tribe for now.
Mother of the Tribe

does your toothpaste get wasted ( soap)

Does your toothpaste get wasted?

The Bite

The thing is, it's probably still loaded. Most people toss product containers before they're empty, so next time you go to toss that lotion or toothpaste tube, squeeze, cut, invert, shake or water down, and create less waste.

The Benefits
  • Smaller landfills. On average, 10% of all toothpaste goes unused.
  • You get your money's worth. Save yourself from buying more lotion, shampoo and toothpaste than you need to.
  • Satisfaction. You paid for it; it's yours, so why not take advantage of every last bit?
Personally Speaking
This tip was born during the early months of Ideal Bite, when our co-founders were more broke than MC Hammer.

Wanna Try
  • Cut It Up - cut your toothpaste tube or lotion bottle in half; you’ll be amazed how much is left inside.
  • Shake It Up - add a little water to your shampoo, conditioner, or liquid laundry detergent bottles, then shake it up, baby.
  • Turn It Upside Down - store bottles upside-down in your fridge, cabinets or shower, and let gravity work for you.
  • Warm It Up - shower with bottles; the heat will soften the product inside.
following on from the above that stormy posted
how many of you waste the last little bit of soap
i take an ice lolly mould and put all the bits in squashing them in with something blunt
then when its full just dip in hot water for a min and it should just pop out
a new bar of soap

you can actually use anything as a mould
so long as it will withstand the hot water
Old 26.06.2007, 11:59
General Lighting General Lighting is away from the Tribe for now.
witte kat-licht op't pad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensamelia
you can actually use anything as a mould
so long as it will withstand the hot water
hmm - I'm sure I remember these moulds being readily available in the late 1980s during the last boom in "environmental awareness"..
Old 26.06.2007, 12:03
Mother of the Tribe

yes i remember them but much more economical to use something thats lying around rather than buy one
Old 26.06.2007, 12:13
General Lighting General Lighting is away from the Tribe for now.
witte kat-licht op't pad!

I don't have any ice lolly moulds in the house though, I'm a bit old for ice lollies now - well not really , I actually do have a sweet tooth but I am trying to look after my body a bit more these days..

what I was getting at though is that these "recycling" things (and the ideas) were once sort of mainstream in the late 80s but fell by the wayside in the 90s as the economy picked up again...

Its easier (and safer) now to cut a toothpaste tube in half though, as you are no longer dealing with jagged metal..
Old 27.06.2007, 17:59
Stormy Stormy is away from the Tribe for now.
admins digger and dreamer

My Mood:
Great tip Mind you ours tends to get stuck to the new soap

It's a bit like bits of left over candles... collect them up and boil them up in an old pan ..use some suitable mould that will with stand heat from the wax .... find/make/buy some suitable wick, which can be tied to a stick or something and dangled into the pot... fill the pots with the wax, and leave to set... bingo you have new candles from lots of odds and ends of old ones!!

"Opinions are like bottom holes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Love, light, peace and freedom always
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

I love storms

Old 30.06.2007, 17:17
Jo moon Jo moon is away from the Tribe for now.
Sapling

Hello, I feel insipired to respond to this toothpaste issue as I have been making my own for the last year and wondered if others may be interested in this!

I did open up my toothpaste tube but wasn't happy with the level of wasted toothpaste and also where can you recycle a toothpaste tube? Anyway I experimented with making my own and now do this regularly. I boil up a little water (spring water if possible) with some seasalt and maybe a fresh sprig of mint. Let this cool and then almost fill a small bottle (with pipette) with the liquid. Then add a little cyder vinegar to preserve. Just use the pipette to put the 'toothpaste' onto your toothbrush! You can get these botttles with pipettes from chemists.

Alternatively you can use a liqorice stick or alfalfa root to clean your teeth!

Happy brushing! Jo
Old 30.06.2007, 18:02
Mother of the Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo moon
Hello, I feel insipired to respond to this toothpaste issue as I have been making my own for the last year and wondered if others may be interested in this!

I did open up my toothpaste tube but wasn't happy with the level of wasted toothpaste and also where can you recycle a toothpaste tube? Anyway I experimented with making my own and now do this regularly. I boil up a little water (spring water if possible) with some seasalt and maybe a fresh sprig of mint. Let this cool and then almost fill a small bottle (with pipette) with the liquid. Then add a little cyder vinegar to preserve. Just use the pipette to put the 'toothpaste' onto your toothbrush! You can get these botttles with pipettes from chemists.

Happy brushing! Jo
thanks for that jo im definatley going to try that
Old 12.07.2007, 12:32
father of ethan father of ethan is away from the Tribe for now.
Mr Blue Sky

Hey,

I think the soap idea sounds fun, although instead of using a lolloypop mould
I'm going to see what I can find to make more fun moulds.

We have a stack of rubber ducks. I'm thinking instead of them colecting dust in the cupboard, i'll chop one in half and make a duck shape bar of soap.

As for toothpaste, I like to get the last little bit out, its like trying to
suck a mint without chewing it until its turns into a polo.
These annoying litle tasks amuze me.
Old 12.07.2007, 12:37
Stormy Stormy is away from the Tribe for now.
admins digger and dreamer

My Mood:
Rubber duck fetish huh!!! hehehe

Sounds a good idea though and you must take a photo of one for us to see

"Opinions are like bottom holes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Love, light, peace and freedom always
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

I love storms

Old 14.07.2007, 11:14
dreadyfairy dreadyfairy is away from the Tribe for now.
Solar powered

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo moon

Happy brushing! Jo
Sounds like a good idea especially as most toothpastes are also full of fluoride!!!!!!!!!!

fairy fluff x